Monday, March 24, 2008

Alas!

a·las - (interjection) - used as an exclamation to express sorrow, grief, pity, concern, or apprehension of evil. (from www.dictionary.com)

I like this word; other unrealistic people like this word. This is because nobody actually uses 'alas' seriously in real life - not now, not ever. Sometimes, it can be found in text, and those texts more than often are from before the twentieth century. The funny thing is, nobody seriously used 'alas' then either! It's survived centuries because it's a super neat word that nobody uses and I find this a little absurd. Think of how we generally express sorrow or concern or apprehension: are the words we typically use as cool as 'alas'? I think not! 'Alas' is classy and sophisticated, and when I observe the general public, most people are not classy and sophisticated, and I think much of this can be attributed to limited vocabularies.

Therefore, I propose that we start using 'alas' - I'm going to bring it back the same way Justin brought sexy back. That's a pretty big deal.


Alas, I have to write an Education paper, edit an American lit paper, and read "Billy Budd" by Melville, so I need to stop blogging. Alas, my last post was about words so I'll probably refrain from more of these vocabulary-shenanigans in the near future. Alas, it's sunny and I have a migrane and now my eyes hurt, so I can't even use the weather as an excuse to not do my work.

Alas, alas, alas!

No comments: