Monday, March 31, 2008

"When I grow up I want to age gracefully"

I hate school. I hate school. I hate school.



I don't actually hate school. I hate schoolwork. Which is kind of funny, because I'm going to be in schools for the rest of my working life, marking schoolwork unless I can get out of it.

When I was six, I wanted to be a hockey player because they make so much money (gender inequalities didn't matter to me at the time. Neither did the fact that I tried to take skating lessons and hated my teacher so much that I walked off the ice and never came back).

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a dentist, because they make a lot of money. People kind of gross me out though, and I eventually realized I didn't want my fingers to be all up in their mouths digging around for dirt the way my great aunt digs for dirt about my love life ("When your grandma was 19 she was married with a kid. How are things going for you?").

Eventually I wanted to be a vet because I have a soft spot for animals. When I was younger we had a 'pet' possum who lived under the shed and ate the carrots I fed him. His name was Opi. Years later, my father exterminated his decendants; I was upset. One day I realized that I'm not emotionally stable enough to deal with sickness and death.

Finally, I settled on being a teacher, which started off with an inkling towards science - but then I hated my science teachers and loved my English teachers, and here we are. I'm really lucky to have known for so long what I want to do. I'm lucky that I'm passionate about something and I'm lucky that when I graduate next Spring I'll know where to go from there.


But after writing page after page of literary analysis papers, after reading book on top of book, after taking a notebook full of notes, I'm starting to loathe it all. Therefore, I've made a list of new possible jobs:

-Super famous artist with galleries in Japan and Italy
-Astronaut
-Bank robber



I think this sounds reasonable.

No comments: