Saturday, April 5, 2008

"The Black Cat" by Edgar Allan Poe, Life Goals

I just finished an American Literature course at SFU - the title was "The Career of Deviance in American Literature," which meant we did a lot of readings involving strange people, strange events, and strange crimes. Subsequently, I feel very well read because not only did we cover a lot of material, we covered a lot of incredibly difficult and complex material. I'm talking Melville, James, Hawthorne, Lippard, Thoreau, and POE.

Edgar Allan Poe was one of my favorite writers (surpassed only by Herman Melville and his novella, "Bartleby, the Scrivener") because he's dark and twisted and exemplifies perversity (not the sexual kind) and deviance perfectly. His short story, "The Black Cat," may very well be the best short story I've ever read.

It's only five pages, I'll love you more than bacon if you read it.

http://www.online-literature.com/poe/24/


Also, I've been thinking more about my future and my temporary dislike of school. I've decided to quit being foolish, so my plans of being an astronaut and whatever else I brainstormed are going down the drain faster than Avril's career. However, I have made a list of things I would like to accomplish, preferrably in the next few years. My Life Goals are:

-Travel to India and other parts of Asia
-Learn sign language and Braille
-Learn to Banghra dance
-Punch somebody in the face
-Paint something humungous on the concrete in the Bog so it shows up on Google satellite

I have a feeling the first thing that will happen will be the punch because I've never been in a fight and I watch Fight Club constantly, I have quite a bit of sass, and I know some very annoying people - one in particular. Melville would say that he is "an intolerable incubus." This is why everybody should read Melville.

No comments: