Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Library

I never go to the library.

I know this sounds strange, and you're probably thinking, "but Amanda! You're mildly nerdy, sort of bookish and reclusive! You love to learn! How do you avoid the library?!" Well, let me tell you. I like buying books because I highlight the crap out of them and then lend them to friends. Plus, having a bookshelf full of things I've read (I've read my height in books in the past two years!) makes me look intellegent and well-balanced (foolery!).

But alas, I'm now a poor college kid and I can't afford to buy lovelies such as Moby Dick, Hard Times, Pride and Prejudice, Treasure Island, etc etc (I did though; it's the "I'm clearly an English major" kind of spending problem). So, after racking up a serious bill at the bookstore, I ventured into the library, hanging my head in shame.

I didn't make it to the books, though: I was incredibly distracted by the shelves of DVDs and CDs! There are occasionally good DVDs like SNL's Best of Christopher Walken and 2001: A Space Oddysey, but what's even greater is the indie music collection! I've found Tegan & Sara, Franz Ferdinand, Arcade Fire, Metric, Tokyo Police Club, etc. I got far too excited to be in a library so I got out my card and swipe swipe swiped - and it sure felt nice not to punch in a pin or sign a receipt.

So, for any poor people out there who love books, never fear! Take all of the money you would spend on music, movies, and rentals and spend it all on books and highlight away! Then just mosey on down to the library and get your media fix there.

This is great news for me. I'm listening to Franz Ferdinand for free while I make my book wishlist (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is next up!). I know you're probably thinking, "Amanda, after this very nerdy blog entry, didn't you ever think just to borrow books from the library as well?" Well, I could do that. But let's face it, when you have a literary spending problem, baby steps are key, and forfeiting my Chapters bill isn't something I'm ready to put on my plate just yet.

No comments: