Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Dark Knight

I saw The Dark Knight yesterday. It was very good, but also sort of overrated. Everyone else saw it before me, and I said I didn't want to know anything about it. Instead, all I've heard is "it was so awesome" for weeks now.

It was awesome.
But not that awesome. The undertones were underrated, the overtones (?) were overrated.

A girl I worked with said she couldn't sleep because of the Joker. I think that's silly. I wanted to hug him after that hospital scene cause his getup was so dang adorable.

Also, because I didn't want spoilers, I was NOT aware of the whole Harvey Dent face situation. I have a phobia of fire and burn scars and even though his didn't look like a burn as much as an Evil Dead film, I still had a very long series of panic attacks. I'll probably never see the last half of the film again because of this. Nightmares ensued.


But, despite my complaints, it is worth seeing in theatres and Heath Ledger is deserving of an Oscar. And yes, I would say that if he was still alive. Plus, Christian Bale is a fox.

Also, I liked what the film said about human nature, etc. etc., until the scene between the two boats of people. I sympathised with the Joker when he was talking about the city protecting that man as they dealt with the hospitals as well, how if a criminal or army squadron was to die in place of a hospital of people nobody would bat a lash because those are the sort of people who are supposed to die for the 'plan.' I liked that. It made sense. I also liked how he talked about causing trouble for the sake of having fun instead of for personal gain. Obviously he was a cinematic example, but I find that when I instigate trouble it's to entertain myself with witty comments or mild disagreement with those I don't like, rather than sneaky tactics to get ahead. I think people do that universally - we enjoy being a pain in the ass. This is probably the only logical solution in explaining morning traffic.

People are born inherently evil - if we weren't, why would we need a God? Why would one exist? Maybe you don't agree with me on this one, but there isn't a doubt in my mind about that, so there isn't a doubt in my mind that we aren't as great as we make ourselves out to be. Which is why I thought the Joker was awesome, because he acnowledged that full force. Everyone else tries to cover it up with happy endings and heroes, even if the hero is drop dead sexy.

Anyways, I was loving the undertones until that boat scene, because I don't believe that both groups of people would have reacted like that. We all fight to live because we fight for everything else along the way, whether it's a promotion or custody of the kids or merging in front of that semi on the highway. Nobody is chill, nobody sacrifices.


Dang Harvey Dent's eyeball ruining it for me.

No comments: